So since Cole has been sleeping horribly, we decided something had to be done. Since he was a few days away from 5 months and it was the weekend, we decided to start Friday night. We decided to go with the ferber method. Basically, you put them to bed drowsy (which we never do) and let them cry. The first night you check on them 3, 5, 7, and 10 minutes, then if they wake up throughout the night you wait and check on them. It was the hardest thing ever!! He went down fine without a peep at 8pm. At 10, he woke up screaming. He never does this, so I went in and picked him up to make sure he was ok then put him back down awake. He cried for about 25 minutes. I cried even harder. I hated listening to my baby cry and not be able to console him. He woke up again 11 and cried for another 30 minutes. Again, I cried harder:( But once he fell asleep, he slept up almost 8am... in his crib!!! He usually always wakes up and we have to put him in the swing around 5 or 6am.
So Saturday, he cried for an hour. 60 minutes... oh my goodness. Talk about anxiety. I finally had to go outside where I couldn't hear him. It was horrible. I had Jared run the timing and tell me when I could go soothe him. As soon as he said I could go, I sprinted into his room and wiped his little tears away. This has to be the hardest thing I have done since having him. But again, once he fell asleep, he woke up a few times throughout the night. I went in at 3am, changed his diaper and reswaddled him (this was the only time I got him up) and put him back in his crib. I expected more screaming because he was wide awake, but he put himself back to sleep without a peep and slept until 7:30am ... in his crib again:) YAY!
Sunday night, he cried for 20 minutes and was up about 5 times during the night. I made the mistake of going in as soon as I heard him cry and put the binki back in his mouth. We ended up putting him in his swing around 6am, but he slept until 8:30am!!
Then Monday night, he cried for 5 minutes and we only heard a few noises throughout the night, but I never went in. He slept in his crib until 6am, then I put him in his swing where he slept until 8am. Last night, he never cried when I put him down (but he was already half asleep from his bottle). I didn't hear a peep from him until 5am!!! WOW!! I let his fuss/talk for 10 minutes, went in and reswaddled and changed him, then put him back in his crib. He was wide awake, but I never heard anything from him! He was up about an hour later, I let him fuss for 10 min, went in and "shh" him, and he slept in his crib until 7:15.
I hate to jinx myself, but I think we are seeing progress. I always said I would never let him cry it out, but nothing else worked. We haven't been following the ferber method to a "t" but we are working on it. Now naps are a different story, we are trying to put him in the crib, but he doesn't last long. Once I read more about naps, I will start implementing a plan. But for now, we are happy with the results we have. If you read this whole thing... good for you:) I wanted to write it all out, so I could remember how it went for future reference;) So *cheers* to good sleep!
Go baby Cole!! Keep it up!!
No comments:
Post a Comment